body { font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif; }


Call Us (631) 780-0085

Text Us

"I know you are tackling very private and sensitive issues. I will be at your side during every step of the legal process."
click here to request

What Enforcement Actions Can You Take in NY for Child Support?

New York Child Support

Never feel that your situation for collecting child support is hopeless. NY Law provides a number of options that your family law attorney can take to help you enforce child support payment.

In fact, there are administrative actions you can take based on New York State Child Support that can be administratively executed without having to go to court. Your ex spouse will receive a notice that explains the administrative process, the time frame involved and instructions for complying or challenging the payment instruction action. It also explains the consequences of not responding. Money for child support can be collected through:

  • Deduction from income
  • Unemployment insurance intercept
  • Income tax refund offset
  • Credit bureau submissions
  • Lottery intercepts
  • Property execution (obtaining money from levies on vehicles, equipment, cash, bank accounts, etc.)
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Passport denial
  • Lien filing
  • Tax referrals

Depending on how long you haven’t received child support or the total amount of past-due support owed, more than one of the above actions may occur at the same time.

If the administrative process doesn’t handle the problem, then your attorney can take the matter to court. Through a court hearing, a judge has the authority to do the following:

  • Order mandatory money judgments for past-due payments
  • Order the non-custodial parent into a work program
  • Suspend the state issued professional, business or occupational licenses
  • Issue probation or jail sentences

Don’t hesitate to consult with a lawyer if you’re having problems collecting child support. Long Island divorce attorney Chris Palermo has years of experience and can advise you on the best course of action to deal with your issues.